During a hot summer in the Orlando area, your air conditioner is one of your most appreciated investments. Here are some tips you can use to ensure you get the most out of your cooling system and save money on energy costs.
- Change your air filter regularly. Your air conditioner will be less efficient if you have a dirty filter, so check the filter often and clean or replace when dirty, typically every three months. Use the most efficient filter recommended by the manufacturer.
- Seal air leaks. Check for leaks around windows and doors and seal any leaks with caulking or weatherstripping.
- Install a programmable thermostat, which will allow you to control your home’s temperatures whether you’re home or away.
- Double check insulation levels. Insulate ducts that go through unconditioned areas such as attics, garages and crawl spaces. Use spray foam, batt insulation or rigid-foam insulation.
- Clean outdoor HVAC equipment. Keep leaves and other debris away from your central air conditioner’s condenser and air compressor. Ensure nearby grass is trimmed and shrubbery does not encroach upon the equipment.
- Reduce your A/C’s workload. Keep your air conditioning system from overworking by shutting blinds, shades or curtains during the day to keep the sun from heating your home. You can also install awnings on windows that face south.
- Embrace naturally-occurring shade. For a long-term investment into shading your home, plant trees and shrubs near windows that face the sun.
- Circulate conditioned air with ceiling fans. Use room and ceiling fans in conjunction with your air conditioner to circulate the cooled air better.
- Don’t neglect your HVAC equipment. Schedule annual preventive maintenance to ensure your unit operates as efficiently as possible.
- Be mindful of airflow. Keep doors open or at least slightly ajar to ensure good airflow in your home.
- Go energy efficient when it’s time to replace. If you have an older unit, consider upgrading to a more energy-efficient model. Look for the Energy Star label for the best energy efficiency, which will save money on energy bills.
For more tips on cooling and other home-comfort topics, feel free to contact us at Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning. We’ve been serving the Orlando area since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!