Air conditioners tend to be pretty tough pieces of equipment that will run reliably for years, but even the best will break down eventually. If you are having problems with the system in your Orlando-area home, there may be solutions to some of the most common air conditioner problems, which may help you avoid an unnecessary service call.
Common Air Conditioner Problems:
- Improper refrigerant level: Make sure that your HVAC contractor checks the refrigerant level during your regular maintenance appointments, making sure it matches the system’s specifications. Have any leaks fixed immediately.
- Lack of maintenance: Failure to have your system serviced at least once a year can potentially cause serious problems, which can become quite expensive. In between service calls, you should also check the air filter monthly and make sure the indoor and outdoor coils are clean, which will extend the life of the system.
- Electric control malfunction: Air conditioners produce moisture while running, which can corrode electrical contacts. Have the connections cleaned, if necessary. If that does not work, it is possible the control circuits for the compressor or fan must be replaced.
- Thermostat sensor problem: On window units, the thermostat sensor can easily be jarred out of position, causing the unit to turn on and off frequently or fail to cool properly. Bend the sensor wire back towards the coil, but do not allow it to actually touch the coil.
- Clogged condensate drain: When the condensate drain clogs, water can back up in the drip pan, and, on some models, a sensor will shut the system down. Check and clean the condensate drain and drip pan often, which also prevents dangerous bacteria from growing.
- Tripped breakers: If your system fails to start, especially on very hot days, shut off the breakers for five minutes, allowing the system to cool, and reset the high limit switch on the compressor, if necessary.
For more information about these common air conditioner problems, feel free to contact our experts at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. We have been providing quality HVAC services to Orlando and the surrounding communities of Central Florida since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about common air conditioner problems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock