Water conservation is becoming more of a concern for homeowners, both to save a precious natural resource and lower their household operating costs. If you’re looking for effective ways to conserve water and lower your related utility bills by up to 10 percent annually, try these simple tips:
Curb Consumption In the Bathroom
About 50 percent of household water usage occurs in the bathroom, but you can cut back on your consumption easily if everyone in the family gets in the habit of:
- Shutting off the faucet when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Showering rather than bathing, and shortening the length of showers to reduce the amount used by 2–5 gallons a minute.
Use Less Water In the Kitchen
Approximately 10 percent of water use takes place in the kitchen. To trim this:
- Run the dishwasher instead of hand washing, but make sure it’s fully loaded first.
- Scrape dirty dishes but don’t rinse them first and you’ll save about 20 gallons of water per dishwasher load.
- Add an inexpensive aerator on the faucet and you’ll save up to 2 gallons a minute.
- Store a pitcher of drinking water in the fridge rather than running the faucet until cool water arrives.
- Start composting your food waste instead of running the garbage disposal.
Save Water All Around the House
There are numerous ways to conserve water and limit waste all around your home:
- Get leaky pipes, dripping faucets and running toilets fixed promptly and you’ll save up to 200 gallons a day.
- Always wash full loads of laundry, because small loads use twice as much water per pound.
- Insulate your hot water pipes to cut back on waste while waiting for hot water to arrive at your faucets and fixtures.
- Choose water-efficient models when it’s time to replace your clothes washer or dishwasher.
- When you replace a toilet, faucet or showerhead, look for products certified under the Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense program that use about 20 percent less water than standard products.
For more advice on effective ways to conserve water in your Orlando area home, contact us today at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “OpenClipart-Vectors/Pixabay”