With summer about to take hold in the Orlando area, your energy costs may be getting out of hand this time of the year. However, you can take some steps to make sure that you’re not paying any more than you have to.
- If you haven’t already done so this spring, now is the time to get a professional tune-up for your cooling system. Not only will this make sure that things are running at top efficiency and with minimal energy loss, it will also help prevent surprise breakdowns or problems during the hottest days of summer.
- Keep your air filter clean. Replace them every month if they look dirty or dusty, and don’t leave them without changing for more than three months. This keeps air flowing through your cooling system and allows the A/C to work more efficiently, using less energy and saving you money.
- Check for leaks in your home’s ductwork and seal those that you can see. You can have this done professionally, or you can check yourself, using mastic sealant of metal tape to seal leaks.
- A programmable thermostat can also be a worthwhile investment. You can program your cooling system to cut back on cooling during periods of the day when you’re usually out of the house, or when you’re sleeping. This will reduce your energy costs while not sacrificing comfort.
- By replacing old, inefficient HVAC equipment with new, Energy Star-qualified systems, you’ll start getting immediate payback with lower utility bills, plus you’ll have improved comfort. A trained a trained professional should install your new cooling equipment to ensure that everything is done correctly in order to maximize efficiency and savings.
This summer will be long and hot, but by taking these energy-saving steps ahead of time you should be able to keep your costs under control. For more advice about saving energy and and any other issues regarding your home comfort, please contact us at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. We have been keeping the Melbourne, Titusville, Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island and Orlando areas comfortable since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about lowering energy costs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock