Most residential HVAC systems require minimal maintenance to function properly throughout the year. However, by implementing these key factors, your system will perform at an optimal level during all four seasons.
Tips to Extend the Life of Your HVAC System
- Change air filters – Always change your air filters according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you are unable to locate them, just remember the filters should be replaced on a three month rotation. When you install the new filters be certain they are the correct size and fit correctly.
- Keep the outdoor unit clean – Your HVAC system has a condensing unit outside with metal coils around it. These coils have to be cleaned regularly of any accumulating debris or dust. You simply spray with a light pressured hose to clean the coils off.
- Allow the air to flow – To avoid mold, you will have to keep a steady static pressure and reduce the buildup of moisture. All vents should remain open at all times even in rooms that are not used regularly.
- Clean duct grills – All duct grills and vents from each room should be cleaned once every year. After you have pulled the grill up from the floor just use your vacuum or a damp cloth to remove the dirt and dust from each one.
- Keep discharge pipes open – Your discharge pipe, which normally runs outside from your HVAC system will require a cleaning and the removal of any debris. This prevents your system from backing up.
Follow these five easy preventative maintenance tips to help extend the life of your HVAC system.
For all your HVAC system needs contact Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions located in Orlando, Florida.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC systems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Dirk Erckent/Shutterstock”