In bathrooms, basements and on windowsills, mold is an annoying problem that can quickly become serious if left untreated. Mold can lurk in just about any damp, dark and humid location and fills the air with a nose-wrinkling musty aroma. The fungus devours the surface it is growing on and quickly spreads via spores released in the air. With a moisture-fighting strategy in place, you will help keep your home free of mold.
- Remove moisture: Even the tiniest drop of moisture can lead to a mold infestation. Using a dehumidifier will lower the moisture in the air and help prevent future mold growth. A humidity level between 30 to 50 percent will keep your home comfortable and mold-free.
- HVAC maintenance: Keep your HVAC up to date with regular maintenance and inspections. This includes regularly replacing dirty furnace filters. If the filter is clogged, it cannot function properly and will allow particles such as mold spores to reenter the air.
- Fix leaks: Leaky pipes not only increase your utility bills but they also increase the likelihood of fungus growth. Once you have fixed the leaky pipes, regularly check back to ensure the pipe is not leaking again.
- Drainage: Mold is a problem both inside and outside the home. If you allow your home’s foundation to stay damp because of improper drainage, several problems — including mold growth — will develop. Prevent this damaging problem by directing water away from your foundation with gutters and drains.
- Ventilation: Installing a whole-house ventilation system keeps the air circulating and helps push the mold spores out of your home. Proper ventilation and circulating
A moisture-fighting strategy alone will not get rid of the mold presently growing in your home. You must physically remove the fungus with the appropriate cleaning solution. Once the fungus has been removed and the moisture-fighting strategy in place, you will increase the chance of future mold growth.
For more expert tips on a moisture-fighting strategy, contact Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning. We have been serving the Orlando area since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about moisture-fighting strategy and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Prevention image via Shutterstock|