As a homeowner, you’re probably aware of the benefits in performing regular maintenance on the major heating and cooling systems you depend on to keep your home comfortable. One system that operates quietly in the background and is often overlooked until problems occur is your plumbing system.
Issues do occur in plumbing systems, so the following plumbing tips will help you to perform regular preventive maintenance on your plumbing system, saving the time and cost involved when hiring a plumber. Do keep in mind that anything other than a simple repair job usually requires the skill of a professional plumber.
- Grease and oil will not dissolve in plumbing pipes, no matter how much hot water you run into the sink.
- Clean drains regularly to avoid the buildup of food scraps and grease.
- Allow cold water to run down the drain for 10 to 15 seconds before and after using the garbage disposal.
- Never put vegetable peels and waste, meat fat or poultry skins or bones into the unit.
Do not ignore a leaking or running toilet. Tank repair kits are readily available and easily installed, but leaks may require professional repairs.
Run hot water down sink drains for 10 to 20 seconds every week to keep them free-flowing.
Fit shower and bathtub drains with strainers to catch hair and soap.
- Replace older rubber washing machine hoses with stainless steel braided hosing – it’s resistant to developing cracks and leaks.
- You’ll save energy and water if you only use your washing machine when it has a full load.
- Check pipes under sinks or cabinets regularly for leaks.
- Check plumbing vent pipes, drains and downspouts for leaves, debris or bird nests at least twice annually.
- Check outdoor faucets and hose bibs for leaks or reduced pressure, which may indicate a cracked or blocked pipe.
Finally, make sure everyone in the house knows where the main water shutoff is in case of an emergency.
For more expert plumbing tips or for any home comfort issue, please contact Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. We have proudly served the Orlando area since 1969.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about plumbing and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “marinini/Shutterstock”