For Orlando homeowners, the reality is that a power outage can occur at almost any time throughout the year, due to our climate. And while hurricane season generally means an increased likelihood of a power outage, being prepared at all times of the year will help you and your family to successfully navigate such an experience.
Here’s what you need to do to prepare for a power outage:
- Keep food safe. Having a safe food supply is of utmost importance, even for power outages that last a single day. As a general rule, if the power is out for more than two hours, you’ll need to take some steps to keep food fresh. The first thing you can do is to minimize the number of times you open the fridge (and freezer) doors in order to keep cool air inside.
- Store some of your food in coolers. Have a backup supply of ice on hand at all times, and pack bags of ice around food located inside the fridge and coolers.
- Use a thermometer to read the temperature of food that you’re concerned about. If the temperature of any food reads above 40 degrees, don’t eat it.
- Have a supply of water on hand. This factor is critical, because clean water will keep you going for days at a time. Keep gallon jugs of water in storage at all times. You’ll need water for drinking and for flushing toilets. If you know a storm is on its way, fill your bathtubs and sinks for this purpose, and save gallon jugs for drinking.
- Have an emergency kit prepared, which should include Band-aids, gauze, ointments, and a supply of batteries. Include a battery-operated radio so you can access weather and news reports.
- Keep a supply of necessary medications on hand for family members.
The steps you take to endure and prepare your home for a power outage should include the above tips. However, if you’d like to talk to a professional about whole-house preparation to ensure efficiency and comfort year-round, contact the HVAC experts in the Orlando area at Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about power outages and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offersand get started today!
|Repair Decision image via Shutterstock|