With winter on the way, it’s time to make sure your home is ready for the cold weather that is approaching. These energy saving tips will help you stay warm this season as well as save you money all year round.
- Schedule preventive maintenance. The best way to ensure you are getting maximum efficiency from your HVAC system is to have an HVAC professional inspect your heating and cooling equipment. They check for damaged parts that need to be replaced and clean all the components to ensure they are able to perform optimally.
- Block drafts. To keep your conditioned air in your home and outside air out, you can use materials like plastic insulation or weatherstripping. Weatherstripping is applied to the perimeter of doors and windows while clear plastic insulation is simply placed over windows for an extra layer of protection.
- Seal ducts. Prevent loss of conditioned air by patching up holes, leaks, gaps and cracks with duct mastic. This is a putty-like material that spreads easily over your ducts with a trowel and then hardens so that air cannot escape. This can improve your efficiency by as much as 30 percent and keeps you from air conditioning your useless areas like crawlspaces.
- Upgrade your heating and cooling equipment. If your HVAC system is between 10 to 15 years old, it may be time to upgrade. Efficiency is measured by SEER for air conditioners and AFUE for furnaces. A boost to either can generate more energy savings. They will also help you get better overall comfort throughout your house.
- Work with reputable HVAC contractors. By working with licensed and experienced contractors, you will be sure that one of the most important pieces of machinery in your home is in good hands. Check online to see if the contractor you are considering is qualified and trustworthy.
For more information on strategies that will help you generate energy savings all year round, contact Rinaldi’s Air Conditioning Service. We have proudly served the central Florida region for over 42 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rinaldi’s services Orlando, Florida and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!