Water damage is a massive culprit behind weakened foundations in Orlando homes. Water damage compromises the very core of a building. Think about the core strength of your body. Water damage left to penetrate through a home’s core strength can cause serious structural damage. Wet and damp wood attracts wood-eating termites and carpenter ants, in addition to creating an environment conducive to rampant mold and mildew growth.
The following are key tips to preventing water damage before it becomes a serious problem:
- Good drainage. Improperly draining water can settle near your home’s foundation. This causes cracks to develop that will weaken your foundation and open up liquid paths into your house. You can help keep water drain effectively by:
- Keeping gutters clean of debris.
- Point downspouts to direct water 5 to 10 feet away from your house.
- Ensure your home’s yard has a 6-inch slope within a 10-foot span from your house in all directions. Such sloping is great for preventing water damage caused by seepage into your foundation.
- Routinely test sump pumps. This is especially key during the late spring and summer months when heat build-up creates ideal conditions for heavy Florida thunderstorms. You can test sump pumps by:
- Filling the pit steadily with water and watch how the unit’s ‘float’ works. It should slowly begin to rise and automatically initiate the pump, which will drain the water.
- Additionally, unplug the main pump to test any backup units.
- Inspect and repair any found leaks. Leaks left unattended will lead to foundation rot, wood-loving pests and the growth of mold and mildew. The faster you fix leaks, the better the chance at preventing water damage to your house. You can inspect for leaks by:
- Checking for any ceiling stains, dark spots beneath plumbing, rocking toilets, and incessant dripping.
- Do an annual inspection of your roof for deteriorating caulking and damaged shingles.
For more information on preventing water damage in your home, and other HVAC solutions, contact your local experts at Rinaldi’s Energy Solutions. Our technicians are proud to serve residents throughout Orlando and her surrounding Florida neighborhoods.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Orlando, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about water damage and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Leszek Glasner/Shutterstock”